Website Scunthorpe United Football Club
– Salary: “Dependent Upon Experience”
– Closing Date: 10/05/2019
– Job Role : Academy Coach
Line Manager & Reporting Procedures: 1 Development Phase Lead Coach 2 Head of Academy Coaching 3 Academy Manager
Contract: Fixed Term – dates as stated in contract of employment
Full Terms of employment: To consult the Club staff handbook held in the Academy office & at Glanford Park
Hours of work: Variable and dependant on age group working with – hours stated in contract
Basic pay: Please refer to contract
Holiday pay entitlement: Please refer to contract
Key relationships Internal: – Lead Phase Coach, Head of Academy Coaching / Coach Developer, Academy
Manager, Academy Management Team (AMT), Recruitment Department, Academy Staff,
External – Regulatory Bodies (English Football League, Football Association. Coaches at other Professional Football Clubs. Local Grass-root clubs
Purpose of the job: To coach an age group/squad of players within the Academy, in accordance with the Scunthorpe United Football Club training and games philosophy, adhering to Club/Academy values and culture and in-line with the Academy Performance Plan (APP) and by the rules of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP).
Overview / Specific tasks: Coaching
1. Work under the supervision and guidance of the Academy Phase Lead Coach,
Head of Academy Coaching and Academy Manager as directed.
2. Plan, deliver and evaluate every coaching session in accordance with the Club Philosophy, coaching syllabus and PMA requirements.
3. Ensure that each coaching session is planned, documented and recorded on to the Performance Management Application (PMA) prior to delivery of the
coaching session, including individual and team learning objectives for players to review prior to attending the session.
4. Evaluate coaching sessions on the PMA within 48 hours of the completion of the coaching session, documenting player’s achievement of individual and team learning objectives in line with the coaching programme.
5. Ensure that each coaching session is holistic and includes psychological and physical learning objectives for the players as well as technical, tactical and social objectives.
6. Along with the Academy Staff, deliver coaching sessions utilising age specific vocabulary detailed within the Academy Coaching Philosophy
7. Ensure all sessions are delivered with a compliant approach to Health and Safety and that you take an attendance register prior to and after each session ensuring the safety and welfare of the players at all times.
8. Ensure the players warm up and cool down before/after every coaching session in line with the Academy warm up & cool down protocol.
9. Develop and maintain a positive learning environment to maximise each
players learning potential.
10. Ensure that you have an up to date player emergency contact and medical details list with you at each session to enable you to call parents in an emergency.
Games / Match-day
11. Ensure that the team that you coach plays in line with the Academy philosophy and that you are conversant with the philosophy in possession, out of possession and on transition.
12. You must adhere to the Club/Academy philosophy at all times and do not divert away from the philosophy in any way.
13. Document match day planning and both individual and team learning objectives using the PMA within 48 hours of a game being played
14. Ensure appropriate playing opportunities for all players, including contracted and any trialist players and ensure that all players participate in at least 50% of the game time for each game played by the team.
15. Ensure that all players have an equal opportunity to start a game and that the same players do not always start the game as a substitute.
16. Team-talk emphasis must be based on players understanding and meeting their individual and team learning objectives during the pre-match, half time and postmatch team talks and ensure there is player interaction.
17. Ensure a warm up and cool down is conducted on each match day and is
delivered according to the Academy structured warm up & cool down.
18. Exhibit exemplary touchline behaviour that is in line with the Academy code of conduct, exhibits ‘best practise’ and that you are a role model to the players.
19. Develop a positive learning environment whilst pitch side and remain in your technical area at all times.
20. Do not do or say anything that brings either yourself or the Club in to disrepute.
21. Liaise with the Academy Goalkeeping Coach to report on the performance and progress of each goalkeeper and ensure that this information is included in 8/12 weekly reviews, half year reviews and on the PMA.
Player Performance Reviews (every 8 wk YDP and 12 weeks FP)
22. Assisted by the Lead Phase Coach and the Head of Coaching, you must prepare and conduct player performance reviews for each player in your age group. Meetings must multi-disciplinary and include staff from the following
departments: medical, sports science, education.
23. Ensure that these are prepared and delivered in good time before the date of the 8 or 12 weekly review.
24. Link Player Performance Reviews to the learning outcomes derived from the Academy coaching syllabus.
25. Working with the Performance Analyst, the Phase Lead Coach and the Head of Coaching, provide video evidence to support each player’s individual
performance review and evidence this on the PMA. Trialist Recruitment
26. Be receptive and help the Academy to identify talented young trialist footballers, who with further development may progress to become a professional player at Scunthorpe United FC.
27. To be aware that the Academy are always looking to recruit outstanding young players in each age group and so you must be receptive and agree with the policy that trialists will be recruited, trialled and signed if they are deemed good enough by either yourself or a senior staff member.
28. The Academy Manager has the final decision if a trialist is to be signed or not.
29. Ensure that you attend and contribute to all trialist inductions and introduce yourself to the trialist player and his parents.
30. Ensure that you inform the Phase Lead Coach within 4 weeks of your personal decision as to whether you feel that a trialist is good enough or not good enough to be signed by the Academy.
31. Ensure that you attend and contribute to all trialist ‘end of trial appraisals’ where you will have prepared a written report on a ‘reasons why’ form giving formal and verbal feedback on how the trialist performed and if we intend to sign them or not.
32. Your regular and reliable attendance in this role is essential as it includes evening and weekend work and an 85% attendance rate is required from you for both training and games throughout the whole season.
33. Attend Academy staff meetings as required to ensure appropriate departmental communication, reporting, planning and evaluation.
34. Work with the Head of Coaching to ensure your individual coach development action plan (DAP) is in place with the appropriate CPD programme and that you buy in to the Coaching Competency Framework (CCF) programme as set out in the EPPP rules.
35. Carry out any other reasonable duties that may arise or be assigned by the Academy Manager, Head of Coaching or Phase Lead Coach.
36. Contribute to and attend Parents’ Evenings, Phase Meetings and maintain a professional working relationship with players and parents in the Academy.
37. Display high standards of behaviour and appearance and encourage the same from others.
38. Provide a safe environment in which the player can learn without fear of abuse, consistent with the Club’s Safeguarding and Welfare philosophies.
39. Attend annual staff induction. Qualifications & CPD
40. Must be in possession of an up to date UEFA ‘B’ coaching License.
41. Hold the FA Youth Award Modules 1, 2 and 3.
42. Hold the FA Youth Award assessment.
43. Hold an in date emergency aid (or equivalent) medical qualification as provided by the FA.
44. To attend a minimum of five hours of continual professional development to be provided by the Football Association each year to maintain your current UEFA B coaching license.
45. To attend and contribute to in-house Continual Professional Development
organised by the Academy.
We strongly recommend that you should never provide your bank account details to an advertiser during the job application process. Should you receive a request of this nature please contact support giving the advertiser’s name and job reference.
You must sign in to apply for this position.